whole wheat biscuits

Before the flurry of holiday activity begins (or if you are just more organized than I am and have everything all sewn up), take a breather and relax. I made these whole wheat biscuits yesterday morning and they were perfect with coffee and a slather of butter and a dollop of cherry jam. However, they’d be equally wonderful served alongside soup or topped with sausage gravy and a poached egg.

Made with whole wheat flour and wheat germ, they are wholesome and nutty, light even. The rise on these however is not high, but these are not leaden lumps of dough by any means. I found the recipe on The Oyster Evangelist and Joy calls for them to be made in a cast iron skillet. Most of the biscuits managed to fit into the pan, but the leftovers I just baked on a cookie sheet and I couldn’t tell the difference between the two.

Share |

14 comments to “whole wheat biscuits”

1. 1
    Justine   December 13, 2009 at 1:09 pm

the addition of wheat is a great idea!

justine

2. 2
    Dawn   December 13, 2009 at 1:37 pm

with the butter & jam it is now killer biscuits…just so you know

3. 3
    Kelly   December 13, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Yum. Those sound lovely. I bet making them whole wheat adds a nice nutty flavor. Just stumbled upon your blog via foodblogs.com and am enjoying it.

4. 4
    Joy Manning   December 13, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I'm so glad you liked them! We make them once a week around here. And while we do usually have them with breakfast, we also like them under a ladle of stew. They are versatile and a bit healthier than the usual white flour kind.

5. 5
    Bijoux   December 13, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Taking a breather is not on the agenda for this week. I was all set to gear up for holiday baking mode this weekend when this flu-like bug knocked me off my feet for 2 days…I took my breather with plenty of garlic, zinc, Vit C and starting tomorrow I am making peppermint bark, salted honey caramels, dog biscuits, and so on. Whatever bug I had is now on it's way out and I'm ready to kick butt!

I think I will bake these yummy biscuits in January when all the holiday season mayhem has ended.

6. 6
    Lele   December 13, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Mm biscuits. Cooking Light does a great whole wheat biscuit too- theirs has cornmeal, which is kind of cool. But actually, I'm intrigued to see what yours tastes like with the wheat germ!

7. 7
    Joanne   December 14, 2009 at 3:19 am

Mmmm I love biscuits. And I would probably love them all the more knowing that they are whole wheat. Great way to stop and smell the coffee in the morning.

8. 8
    CookiePie   December 14, 2009 at 11:30 am

Those sound just lovely! Stashing this idea away for the weekend…

9. 9
    Daily Spud   December 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I like the wheatgerm addition very much – that nuttiness is a winner in my book. And I am absolutely going the butter and cherry jam route with these. Just need coffee and I'm set :)

10. 10
    gemma   December 16, 2009 at 8:11 am

This looks so comforting!

11. 11
    Follow Me Foodie   December 18, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Wow! I want to come over for breakfast…looks very healthy yet delicious. It's something I could imagine being served in bakery on Main Steet or 4th!

12. 12
    kickpleat   December 21, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Justine, I think so too! I loved these so much because they were a bit healthier than normal.

Ha, Dawn, I definitely agree!

Thanks Kelly for stopping by.

Joy, I think they'll become regulars here too. Thanks for such a great recipe.

Bijoux, hope you are feeling better! These biscuits await!

Lele, I love different biscuit recipes so I'll be sure to find the CL one!

Indeed, Joanne!

CookiePie, stash away!

Daily Spud, I think the butter and jam route is a great way to go here. A puddle of melting butter? Yum!

Thanks Gemma.

FmFoodie, thanks!

13. 13
    eatme_delicious   December 29, 2009 at 1:38 pm

These sound absolutely perfect! I love that there's wheat germ in them.

14. 14
    kickpleat   January 2, 2010 at 1:01 pm

eatme, these are my favorite biscuits at the moment. I'll be making them again and again!