About Kickpleat & ELS
Hello. I write this blog. I also take the photographs, designed the thing and cooked and baked my way through five years of this blog. I tend to go by the name Kickpleat. Why Kickpleat? Well that’s a question for the FAQ page. However, I have recently decided that hiding behind a moniker was kind of silly, so let’s do this up right. Hi there, I’m Jeannette Ordas and I’m so pleased to meet you!
I do most of my living in Strathcona which is in Vancouver and is spitting distance to Chinatown and the Downtown Eastside. Strathcona is the oldest ‘hood in Vancouver and I love it here. I write, draw, thrift, cook, bake, and ride my bike around town. I also run a web business with my husband called Matchbox Creative. He’s the programmer and I’m the designer. It’s a good set-up. I also have my own greeting card business, The Beautiful Project, where you can shop for my greeting cards on etsy. Oh, and I’m also on a Monday night bowling league called The Gravy Frames and my average is at an all-time high (145! Whooo!).
Despite loving food, I’m actually a picky eater. I don’t like bananas, melons, things that are too sweet or things with a squishy texture. I do love salty snacks, hoppy beers, sour things like Granny Smith apples and grapefruit, and I’ve even been known to eat a box of super sour Dweebs (the superior cousin to Nerds) until my tongue cracks.
Everybody Likes Sandwiches.
This blog started up in February 2005 as a way to keep track of all the activity going on in my kitchen. Back in the old days (before I even had an email address), I used to publish my own ‘zine where I wrote a lot about food (and movies and music). I wanted to get back into writing so starting up a food blog just seemed like a good way to keep me focused and on task. Read from the very beginning if you’d like.
Everybody Likes Sandwiches is about the joy in preparing fresh food simply. I hate complicated directions and finicky recipes. I cook the things that I want to eat and I try to keep things relatively healthy and affordable. I also get a lot out of making do which means not running out to buy a certain ingredient or letting food go to waste. I substitute, I dig around my cupboards and I have fun creating something delicious out of seemingly meager beginnings. This is the absolute joy I’ve found in cooking and I want to let others know that eating & living simply and beautifully can be a cinch.
Where I get my recipes
Many times I just make up recipes as I go along. Often it’s not so much a recipe as trying to remember what I managed to throw in the pot. That said, I often get inspired from cookbooks and blogs, and I give props where credit is due.
If you have a comment or question about a recipe, please leave a comment on the post and I’ll respond there (yes, even old posts if there’s a question being asked). Take a look at my FAQ page for more answers.
I’m more than happy to answer your email within a relatively timely manner (I try!). You can email me at kickpleat [at] everybodylikessandwiches [dot] com
Nope, I don’t pitch, hawk, or plug.
I am a member of Amazon’s Associates program which means that when I mention a cookbook or a kitchen doodad I will most likely add an amazon link which will give me a small cut of your purchase if you do decide to buy something. Of course I shop locally supporting local stores and would love it if you could too, but many communities are too remote or just don’t have the choice, hence shopping online makes sense.
Everything on this site – writing, photography, illustrations – are protected by copyright. Please ask first before using anything for your website or magazine. If you’ve made a recipe on this site & want to share it on your blog, please re-write the recipe in your own words, use your own photo & link back to the original post. I LOVE to see how you’ve translated my recipe! Thanks so much.
Recognition, Press & Awards
- 2012 Canadian Weblogs Award Winner: Best Weblog About Food & Drink
- 2012 Canadian Weblogs Award Winner: Best Designed Weblog
- 2011 Weblogs Award (Bloggies) Finalist for Best Canadian Blog
- 2011 Canadian Weblogs Award Winner: Best Designed Blog
- 2010 Weblogs Award (Bloggies) Finalist for Best Canadian Blog
- 2010 Canadian Weblogs Award Winner: Best Designed Blog & Best Food Blog
- 2009 Weblogs Award (Bloggies) Winner of Best Canadian Blog
- Listed as one of the Top 100 Food Blogs (Oct 2012)
- Gallery of Favourite Food Blogs from the Leader-Post newspaper, March 2012
- Worldwide Feast: 55 Great Global Food Blogs at Saveur, September 2011
- Five Must-Read Food Blogs on PBS, July 2010
- Top 10 Food Blogs for Foodies on Blogs.com (2011)
- Favorite food site of Gourmet Magazine
- Saveur’s Sites We Love
- One of the Top 10 Food Blogs for Foodies on My Life Scoop, October 2010
- One of the Best Canadian Blogs by Canadian Living Magazine, November 2010.
- “So hungry this time of day and dreaming of eating chocolate biscuits. Lucky we were distracted by Everybody Likes Sandwiches, a scrumptious blog by a food obsessed graphic designer.” – Frankie Magazine, January 2010
- “Created by Jeannette (who also happens to be a web-designer on the sly), the site features good recipes, nice photos of the food in question, and the ridiculously simple-but-amazingly-helpful-and-large recipe index.” – Beyond Robson
- “Ordas skillfully documents her processes, adeptly spooning out tips and mixing in personal anecdotes. And from Ordas’ unique perspective, she makes each entry intimately personal, detailing who inspired the dish or how the meal was consumed.” – CBC, Best of the Blogs
- “Here’s my new favorite blog that I highly recommend, Everybody Likes Sandwiches. She has great images of her creations, recipes to match, and a nicely & whimsically designed site!” – Oh Joy!
- Seen also on Slashfood, Serious Eats, Pingable, Culinate
- Design Feaster
- Food Bloggers of Canada
- 2012 Nijamatics Exclusive Interview
- Need to know on PBS
- Tell Simmer
- The Boss Lady
- Scout Magazine
- When I Grow Up Coach
- Mini Sweethearts
- The Georgia Straight
- Chatelaine Magazine
You can find more of my food writing at these websites: