red lentil curry dip with pita chips

I’ve been living on take out pizza lately. I haven’t made a dent into my holiday baking yet, but I’m sure there’s still time (right?). Luckily, I did manage to eek out some pretty fantastic whole wheat biscuits on the weekend. And tonight I resisted the ease of picking up the phone for delivery and took time out of my crazy work schedule to make peace with my neglected kitchen. I looked in cupboards and rooted through the back of the fridge and I managed to cook a wonderful Maritime-style fish chowder (I’ll post the recipe later). It was good to take a break because it meant time to myself doing what I enjoy doing: chopping, stirring, smelling, tasting. My good, calm, reassured old self came flooding back with every turn of the spoon and it was like I had never left.

The same “kitchen as restorative” feeling came last Friday. I was attending the party of this lovely lady later in the evening, but I was freaking about about whether I could make the time to bring something, let alone even show up (although what excuse could I make since she lives just one floor below in the same building). So instead of panicking over the emails in my inbox, I headed to the kitchen where I chopped, blended and sauteed myself back into a better frame of mind. After the dip had been made and the spoon had been licked (because that is a cook’s prerogative), I realized that everything under control. Taking the time out to cook helped to sort out my thoughts and gave me the time away from the computer to put things into perspective. And during a holiday when everything seems kind of crazy, it’s nice to escape into cooking.

Now go on and grab that red lentil curry dip and pita chips over at Poppytalk. It’s delicious and healthy and possibly just the thing to soothe your harried soul.

Share |

11 comments to “red lentil curry dip with pita chips”

1. 1
    hag   December 16, 2009 at 8:48 am

I have red lentils… I think I will try this one… I am always looking for something other than hoummus. Thanks

2. 2
    VeggieGirl   December 16, 2009 at 9:07 am

Stellar way to take a "pizza break," haha ;) Yum!

3. 3
    kendal croix   December 16, 2009 at 10:17 am

oh yum. that looks so delicious right now.

4. 4
    Bijoux   December 16, 2009 at 11:42 am

Beautiful colour! I really love red lentils and the taste and smell of curry! This is so healthy for you too especially at this time of year when everyone is up to their elbows in candy and chocolate!

5. 5
    Dawn   December 16, 2009 at 12:19 pm

now these are the types of snacks that turn into meals in my house!

6. 6
    Dana   December 16, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I always have red lentils in my pantry because I love them so much. I've never made a dip with them. Why not?? Looks incredibly delicious and so healthy. Good for you for getting in that kitchen. I have been in a rut and baking only. And baking only out of necessity.

7. 7
    Joanne   December 17, 2009 at 4:52 am

I always cook when I am stressed. Actually, I bake. It does wonders.

This dip looks delicious. I love out-of-the-ordinary spreads!

8. 8
    Shannon (The Daily Balance)   December 20, 2009 at 3:52 pm

lovely blog you have here! Recently had surgery so sitting on the couch and finding new blogs all day has been rather fun – so happy I found yours!

9. 9
    Daily Spud   December 20, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I like that phrase "escape into cooking", because I find cooking certainly has the power to be therapeutic and restorative and (better yet) very tasty. As ever, your red lentil dip is so far up my street, it's scary :)

10. 10
    Cookie baker Lynn   December 21, 2009 at 6:50 am

It's great to see party recipes that aren't sugar-based. I'm all sugared out now. This looks like a great antidote.

11. 11
    kickpleat   December 21, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Hag, I hope you like it! It's a good one!

VeggieGirl, way better than pizza too. Thanks!

Thanks Kendal.

Bijoux, I wouldn't make this with any other lentil because the colour wouldn't be as pretty.

I agree, Dawn. Makes a perfect elongated snack!

Dana, I understand that kind of rut. I'm in the midst of it right now, but it's good to take time out and make something healthy and delicious for yourself.

Joanne, glad to hear that baking relives stress!! I agree too.

Thanks for stopping by, Shannon.

Daily Spud, you should be on my street ;)

Thanks Lynn, I agree. Take a break from the sugar!