My friend just had her birthday a little while ago and because I got sick and then she got sick, I haven’t gotten around to passing along her gifts yet. Tonight the hand-off will take place, barring any unforseen sicknesses! After wondering what to give as a special vegan birthday treat, I decided to make 2 different kinds of uber-yummy balls.
Buckeyes are an insanely addictive peanut butter and chocolate confection that I had seen on my friend’s flickr stream. When I googled for the recipe, a ton of variations came up, so I decided to forge ahead and give it a go, cutting back the amount of sugar and butter, along with making it vegan-friendly. Most recipes call for rice krispies but I only had Vector (which is my favorite store-bought cereal because of the cinnamon and crunch, by the way) and it worked out really really well. If I make these again (and Cornelius totally wants me to), I’ll add in even more cereal just for more of a crunch. Beware, besides being super addictive, they are also kinda melty, so keep in the fridge and don’t eat outside in the hot sun or you’ll be a tasty delicious mess.
The next kind of vegan ball (hee hee), is a recipe I found tucked into an old thrifted vintage cookbook. The kind of found hand-written note that someone used as a bookmark. I love it for that reason alone! Besides turning this recipe into one a vegan could love, I also cut the recipe in half because it was a gift and I didn’t want to end up eating the leftovers all myself! Feel free to double this recipe as it was meant to be. These aren’t super sweet which is nice but you can definitely use sweetened coconut if you want a sweeter flavour. I added in some chopped almonds, but any kind of nut or dried fruit (or not!) would do.
peanut butter buckeyes
1/4 c Earth Balance margarine
1 3/4 c natural crunchy peanut butter
1 c powdered sugar
1 c of crispy cereal (I used Vector)
1 c semi sweet chocolate
1. Get your margarine and peanut butter to room temperature and combine them, adding in the powdered sugar. Stir well. Crush cereal with your hands (oh the power!) and mix them in too. If you aren’t using a flake cereal, you may not need to crush (poor you). Roll mixture into balls and freeze.
2. Melt chocolate in microwave and roll each ball in the melted chocolate and place on a cookie sheet. Freeze until firm. Store in sealed container in the fridge.
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c Earth Balance margarine
1 t vanilla
1/4 c cocoa
1/4 c almond milk
1/2 c shredded coconut (plus more for snowy coating)
1/4 c chopped almonds
1 1/2 c oats
1. In a medium sized pot, combine the sugar, margarine, vanilla, cocoa and almond milk over medium-high heat until everything is melted and comes to a simmering boil. Let boil for 3 minutes and remove from heat.
2. Add in the coconut, almonds and oats and stir well. If it’s a bit too wet, add in a bit more coconut. When cooled slightly, take a tablespoon of the mixture and roll into a ball.
3. Add coconut to a plate and roll ball into it…creating the look of a “snowball”. Store balls in a sealed container and refrigerate.