What’s the easiest thing to make for the holidays? Candy cane chocolate bark! Two ingredients, chocolate and candy canes. What could be simpler? Not much.
candy cane chocolate bark
1. Crush 1 package of candy canes (12 regular sized ones will do). How you crush them is a matter of preference. I’ve tried using a heavy duty freezer bag and a hammer but my favorite method is using a mortar & pestle and pent-up fury. Gets the job done every time!
2. Get your double boiler ready. When the water is boiling, add 500 grams of good chocolate to the double boiler and melt on low heat, stirring constantly until everything is nice and melty. The choice of chocolate is yours. I like using white Belgium chocolate cuz it looks extra pretty and festive.
3. When the chocolate is melted, remove from heat and quickly add and stir in the crushed candy canes.
4. Pour mixture onto a cookie pan lined with waxed paper or parchment paper and spread somewhat thinly with a rubber spatula.
5. Let cool on your counter until the bottom of the pan is no longer warm. Transfer to the fridge to firm up for about 30 minutes or so.
6. Break into bite sized pieces and wrap up nicely to give to someone as a gift.
* I also make this very successfully with mixed nuts. I just add a similar amount of salted mixed nuts instead of the candy canes to some dark or milk chocolate and follow the same directions. I used salted nuts because I love the sweet-salty dichotomy, but if you aren’t into that, just use plain nuts!