dowdy vegetables: cabbage, potato, carrot soup

dowdy vegetable soup | everybody likes sandwiches

At the moment, my fridge contains a dark green cluster of bitter rapini, a bag of red-stained blood oranges and 2 bulbs of fennel. It’s food like this – bitter, sharp and interesting, that helps to make February – and what’s left of winter – a bit more bearable. But a few days back, my vegetable drawer contained only a few potatoes, half a head of green cabbage and a bag of gnarled carrots. Utilitarian and handy, for sure, but not anything to get excited about. But then I made this soup.

dowdy vegetable soup | everybody likes sandwiches

This shouldn’t be anything special based on the ingredients, but it’s a deceptive little number. If you left this soup in it’s natural state, chunky, you’d learn all of its secrets. But with a wave of your magic wand, or your immersion blender, the soup becomes mysterious. As you’d imagine, it’s quick and simple to whip up on a weeknight evening. Soothing and hearty, you’ll happily go back for seconds and then slurp up the leftovers for lunch. I’m sighing contentedly just thinking about this dowdy, loveable┬ásoup.

dowdy vegetable soup | everybody likes sandwiches

Share |

11 comments to “dowdy vegetables: cabbage, potato, carrot soup”

1. 1
    Joanne   February 19, 2013 at 3:54 am

It’s amazing what a little immersion blender action can do for a soup!

2. 2
    Shannon @ moveeatcreate.wordpress.com   February 19, 2013 at 6:37 am

It certainly looks lovely and a bit mysterious! I love all of these ingredients, dowdy as they may be. Plus, worcestershire sauce can dress up just about anything!

3. 3
    Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe   February 19, 2013 at 10:18 am

I just adore soups like this – they make me feel so cozy!

4. 4
    Eileen   February 19, 2013 at 10:57 am

Oh, pureed veg soups like this are one of my all-time favorites–especially if they feature lots of carrots. I’m always surprised that more people don’t seem to make them!

5. 5
    vanillasugarblog   February 19, 2013 at 5:45 pm

these are the best kinds of soup–everyone in the pot!
    just made one this evening using up veggies

6. 6
    IshitaUnblogged   February 19, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Nothing like a hot warm home-made soup! The soup likes delicious:)

7. 7
    kickpleat   February 20, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Joanne, so true! It worked wonders on this simple soup :)

Thanks Shannon!

Amanda, this is pure coziness to the core.

Eileen, I grew up on soups like these – so good. And yes to carrots for adding a touch of sweetness.

Use all the veggies, indeed, VSB!! :)

Thanks Ishita!

8. 8
    Joanne M.   February 20, 2013 at 3:58 pm

My immersion blender is kaput after an intense soup whirring session recently. I’ve been looking at Craigslist listings to see if I could get another one.

This soup sounds perfect for today. It’s deathly cold outside. I love that you added herbs de Province in there. I just replenished my supply of this lovely fragrant seasoning.

Great creative plate presentation btw!

9. 9
    kickpleat   February 27, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I love herbs de provence, Joanne! Such a great herb mix. Bummer about your blender though, I love mine a lot and would just go out and replace it. Trolling clist is a great place to try. Good luck!!

10. 10
    Laura   December 22, 2013 at 7:39 am

Made this soup last week with some of our Fall CSA bounty. Loved it! Thanks for all the great cabbage recipes on your site. I needed some inspiration to find ways to use the abundance of cabbage coming at us.

11. 11
    kickpleat   December 24, 2013 at 10:45 am

Hooray Laura, so glad you liked it!