merry merry & last-minute peanut brittle

I’m a Christmas lover. Our house is decorated in sparkle and lights and we’ve got a beautifully scented eucalyptus wreath hanging on the inside of our front door. In the evenings, I burn my favorite fir-scented candle and listen to Christmas records while sipping on rum cocktails. And as you probably guessed, I love giving away homemade candy & baked goods to friends and family.

This year, my baking has taken a bit of a back seat since I’ve been so busy with work. So the past few days I’ve been playing catch-up and have whipped up old favorites like rum balls, candy cane bark, almond bark and fudge. But I decided that I needed something new in the mix and decided on peanut brittle. The recipe is adapted from Serious Eats and it’s super quick to make (the whole shebang can be done in about 20 minutes!) so it’s perfect for last-minute gifting. No candy thermometer or complex ingredients required. Don’t have peanuts? Use pumpkin seeds, cashews, or pistachio nuts instead. Wrapped in cellophane and tied with candy-cane coloured twine, it makes a very thoughtful gift.

Enjoy and happy holidays!!

Share |

17 comments to “merry merry & last-minute peanut brittle”

1. 1
    megan/mason   December 24, 2009 at 3:54 pm

We spent all day yesterday watching Christmas movies while we made brittles, chex mixes and cookies. We're snowed in today, so Christmas is "canceled", but it's actually kind of nice in a way…and I think there'll be snowmen tomorrow!

2. 2
    Dawn   December 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I made this with heat and cashews, oh it was good.
    Merry Christmas to you!!!

3. 3
    Daily Spud   December 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Love that – talk about a perfect last minute gift idea! Hope your Christmas and New are both wonderful.

4. 4
    Bijoux   December 24, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Merry Christmas kickpleat & Corny! Kickpleat: you saved my ass (and budget) this year with your wide selection of homemade gift giving ideas…All the best: eat, drink and be merry!!!

Jo

5. 5
    Joanne   December 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

No candy thermometer! I'm there. Those things scare me. Merry Christmas!

6. 6
    Dana   December 25, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I make a version in the microwave! It's the only things I use the microwave for except to reheat food for the boys. I absolutely love peanut brittle – can't have it around the house! I hope you guys are having a Merry Christmas!

7. 7
    Cookie baker Lynn   December 26, 2009 at 7:48 am

What a beautiful gift. I'm thinking of my father, who's a peanut brittle fiend. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

8. 8
    kickpleat   December 26, 2009 at 8:49 am

Bummer for being snowed in, Megan, but I can imagine it's a nice break too! Hope you had a good one!

Dawn, with cayenne or even chipotle this would be awesome! You rock.

Daily Spud, I'm all about the last-minute!

Merry Christmas to you, Bijoux! Glad I could help out with your holidays…and I'm sure you'll love this recipe too.

Joanne, I totally get it.

Really, the microwave? Dana, that's so much easier I'm sure.

Lynn, hope you had a wonderful Christmas too!

Geek, it's too easy this recipe. Next time for sure!

9. 9
    Geek+Nerd   December 26, 2009 at 8:09 am

Oh man – I wanted to try to make brittle this year for my dad, but I didn't have a candy thermometer. I've been super sick this week and didn't want to brave the outdoors to go get one. I have never made candy before, so I didn't know that you could do brittle without one. Drats! Ah well – bookmarking this for next year!

10. 10
    Julie   December 27, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Ha-I found myself making peanut brittle on Christmas eve too! I always make my grandma's recipe but this one looks pretty fab. Happy holidays!

11. 11
    Mary Ann   December 28, 2009 at 10:00 am

YUMMY! Thank you for the recipe!

12. 12
    Violet   December 29, 2009 at 2:12 am

Nothing to do with the brittle (I couldn't get corn syrup here anyway), but I made your ginger syrup for my dad (and brother, and brother-in-law, and father-in-law) for Christmas- and had to make another batch yesterday, he loves it so much! I also made the baked granola for everybody, and that is equally appreciated. However, I changed it by adding cranberries and flaked almonds instead of raisins and whole almonds- and I already have to make another batch for my brother. Thanks very much!

13. 13
    kickpleat   December 29, 2009 at 12:41 pm

julie, hooray for last minute peanut brittle – and i'm sure grandma's recipe is grand!

thanks mary ann!

violet, glad the ginger syrup was well appreciated, along with the granola! maybe you'll be starting a new tradition in your household for next year!

14. 14
    Megan Gordon   December 29, 2009 at 6:30 pm

I've been doing toffee but peanut brittle's a close cousin so I may just have to try. Thanks for cool recipe!

15. 15
    kickpleat   January 31, 2010 at 4:57 pm

eatme, that candle is the best. the scent is amazing!

16. 16
    Astrid   December 12, 2010 at 6:29 am

Just made your peanut brittle, this is destined to become an annual tradition. Great recipe! thank you

Astrid