bold green beans

When I get green beans, I usually end up making my usual snacking lemon-garlic beans. I LOVE them so much that I’m starting to see green beans in a one-track kind of light. When I got some beautiful, crazy long (but not Asian long) green beans in my CSA share, I tried something new. I still wanted that zing and that bite that my dream beans give me, but I wanted some new flavours. Let me introduce you to these bold babies. They are perfect. Crunchy from a quick steam and a toss of sauteed walnuts and they also have power, thanks to garlic and ginger. For the recipe, you’ll have to head over to Poppytalk and get it there.

Share |

12 comments to “bold green beans”

1. 1
    nicole   September 23, 2009 at 9:46 am

love the plate, where's it from?

2. 2
    kickpleat   September 23, 2009 at 9:49 am

I love the plate too, Nicole. Thank the thrifting gods. This pattern isn't that hard to find, so take a look at your local thrift shop.

3. 3
    Bijoux   September 23, 2009 at 10:34 am

I'm having issues logging into my Blogger account…arrgh!

I, too, love green beans with plenty of garlic and lemon juice too! Then I tear off hunks of baguette and sop up all that sour garlicky goodness. Yum!
    I've tried roasted almonds on haricots vert (haha!) but not walnuts…worth giving it a try although I do find walnuts give me mouth ulcers some times. I do have a bottle of delicious walnut oil however, which makes the best spinach salad dressing ever (mixed with fig jam of course) and with no resulting ulcers!

4. 4
    fueledbyplants   September 23, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Gorgeous photo! (And like the others, I love the plate!)

5. 5
    kickpleat   September 25, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Bijoux, try another nut. I just used walnuts since that is what I had on hand at the time.

Thanks fueldbyplants!

6. 6
    hag   September 25, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I LOVE green beans too. Thanks for showing me a new way to prepare them. I also happen to have green beans and walnuts right now.

7. 7
    kntgrl   September 26, 2009 at 1:32 pm

that is quite the array of bean recipes.
    missing is my fave Szechuan Beans a la Chong King. I'll send it to you.

8. 8
    kickpleat   September 26, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Hag, I hope you made them & loved them!

Knitgrrl, please send! I love love love Szechuan Beans like crazy.

9. 9
    liz r.   September 26, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Just popping in to say THANKS for this recipe and the beets and feta one below–made them both for dinner tonight using beautiful farmers market produce (including feta from a local farm). Delicious!

I haven't tried any of your scone recipes yet, but I'm looking forward to them. I find your recipes really accessible and inspiring.

10. 10
    eatme_delicious   September 27, 2009 at 9:36 am

Mmm I've been eating green beans weekly all summer. These look good! I still need to try your lemony green beans. Love the plate!

11. 11
    kickpleat   September 27, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Thank you liz, glad to hear!

eatme, the lemon ones are so good…as are these!

12. 12
    Erika K   July 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Green beans is one veggie pretty much everyone in my family will eat, but they get so boring. Wait…I make them boring!

This recipe might give the old green beans a kick in the pants, at long last. And those are crazy long – would love to find those!

Erika K