Ages ago I was tagged by the lovely ximena, (whose fantastic lobstersquad is one of my favorite blog reads) to participate in the “5 things about me” meme. Sometimes I wonder if I overextend my internet life and maybe there should be things left to mystery…you know, to be more mysteriously enchanting! But screw that! Here’s 5 things that you may or may not already know about me.
1. I have tinnitus and I blame the rock band Oneida. Well, also maybe if I had earplugs instead of shoving balls of toilet paper into my ears at their show I could have prevented the constant ringing in my ears. I’ve seen Oneida since but I came prepared and wore certified earplugs while dissing them the whole time for robbing me of my perfect hearing. Not that they were listening.
2. I think Michel Gondry is a genius. He’s also born on my birthday so I think we’re somehow cosmically linked (not that I belive in the cosmos or in anything mystical or strange like that). I’m jealous and inspired by his talent and I love just how curious he is and how much fun he has creating. It’s beyond sexy. He’s one person I’d love to meet.
3. I have a fear of baking with yeast. I’ll bake bread this year. I promise.
4. I love reading. When I was a kid I always had at least 2 books on the go. I’ve slacked a bit in my reading in the past few years, but I’m back on the reading bandwagon. This year I cut cable television so I could socialize more, learn more and read more. It’s working. My library hold list is long and the stack of books by my bed is tall and tippy. I mostly read memoirs, essays, food writing and young adult novels.
5. I don’t have a car and I don’t want one. I could tell you that I’m a lefty who attends Critical Mass and hates cars because they pollute, create dependence on oil and make people lazy. But really, I just love walking and riding my bike to get around. Vancouver has such great routes that I can pretty much get from one end of the city to the other in about half an hour or so. I’m also one not to stick to specialized bike clothing. I’ve hopped on my bike in heels and a skirt and 15 minutes later I was presenting my concepts for an ad campaign in front of a group of creative directors and clients at a fancy ad agency with my bike helmet under a chair. I love my bike but I love roadtrips and going carless doesn’t sacrifice my need to motor. When the need to drive happens (and oh, it does!), we rent a car and take a trip….a much better alternative than owning, I think.
I’ve loved Michel Gondry ever since Eternal Sunshine, which is my all time favourite movie. It helps to that he collaborated with the other genius, Charlie Kauffman.
Interesting list kickpleat!
I’m with you on #5!
We have a membership with AutoShare which works out wonderfully for certain types of errands, and hubs has a bike that he uses to ride to work in the Spring-Summer-Fall.
I walk or take public transit, prefering the former whenever I’m not in a rush.
Oh yeah, and yeast…I’ve never used it before but wouldn’t mind giving it a try – so, what are you waiting for?
I am also on the nr. 5 bandwagon! I find myself actually despising people who live AND work in the city, but for some reason (status, laziness) just won’t give up their car.
Now, give us the hydrogen powered vehicle and I will change my tune. Until then, I am more than happy to “drive” my kid around in a Nihola. (www.nihola.dk by the way)
Am looking forward to making that black bean soup this weekend…
i agree stefanie! michel gondry is awesome and charlie kauffman isn’t half bad either 😉
joanne, autoshare and car co-ops are the way to go! we don’t use a car that much to warrant being part of a co-op, but if we did, we’d totally do it. there are a lot of co-op cars parked in our block to choose from!
jennie, that nihola bike is awesome! thanks for the link.